(Highland Park, California / 10 years old)
I am Avery. I live in Los Angeles, California. I love playing soccer. I have been playing soccer since I was 3 years old, and I have come a long way since then. I am proud of my accomplishments, but what makes me most happy is the connection I have with my teammates. I have been on the same team for over three years now, and I love the families and community. I can play any position on the field, but my favorite spot is in midfield. I love the challenge of finding opportunities on the field and creating plays by passing to space. Even when I’m not on the field, I find ways to play soccer. You can find me dribbling around the house or juggling and trying out tricks around my neighborhood just about any day of the week. In the past year, I created my Instagram account so that I could post the skills that I am learning, and it now has over 7000 followers! It has helped me improve my footwork and juggling skills, and I have even been requested to post for some soccer pages. Last month I had the opportunity to take over the Girls Soccer Network Instagram feed (@girlssoccernetwork) and am now an official GSN Champ. I love meeting other amazing soccer players through Instagram and using the platform to inspire and encourage others to succeed. I learn so much from them.
Another thing I love about soccer is that it can take you to many places around the world. In the summer of 2019, I took a 10 day trip to France to go to the FIFA Women’s World Cup. I still can’t believe I got to see the USWNT win it all! In 2018, I took a month-long trip to the Galápagos Islands. I brought my soccer ball everywhere I went on these trips, dribbling around tourists in France and playing street soccer in Ecuador. I love how soccer brings people together anywhere you are in the world. I can’t wait to see where 2020 will take me -- it is going to be such an awesome year!
Aside from soccer, I’m also interested in arts and crafts, dance, American ninja warrior, and science and animals. I spend a lot of my free time creating tiny clay animals and making succulent planters out of recycled cans. I also recently had the opportunity to be featured as a character in a science empowerment workbook written by the non-profit, Boundless Brilliance. I really enjoy science (and learning about women scientists), so this is an honor for me. Boundless Brilliance is a team of women scientists, inspiring young girls and underrepresented students to see their own potential as scientists. This organization is an inspiration to me. You can check out their page at @boundlessbrilliance on Instagram.
Avery, we love to see you dribbling and scoring goals! Keep going!
- GSN Champ for Girls Soccer Network
- 8 years playing soccer
- 5 years playing club soccer (LA Surf, formerly known as LA Premier FC)
- Played Silver Elite in Coast Soccer League in fall 2019
- Spring League 2019 Champions
- 8 years dancing (Ballet, Hip Hop, Tap, Contemporary)
- 2 years in company at Twinkle Toes Dance LA
- 1 solo (Wizard of Oz), 1 duet, 1 trio
1 year of American Ninja Warrior classes
- First Place Eagle Rock Elementary Reflections Art Contest - Film Production Category 2019
- Second Place Eagle Rock Elementary Reflections Art Contest - Film Production Category 2018
- Participant Occidental College “Handmade Oxy” Fall 2018, Fall 2019
- High Ability and Gifted Magnet program at Eagle Rock Elementary
- Contributed to “We are Brilliant: A STEM Workbook for Future Leaders.” Was a character in the book, assisted with editing, featured in advertisements for the book, and tested out experiments for the book.